Thursday, April 9, 2009

Muskie Misfortune

So my buddy and I were fishing at Alum Creek last saturday when I had a experience I will probably never have again. We were working a point off the main lake looking for some largemouth and also trying to get out of the brisk wind. We pulled the boat into a channel along the point, facing the main lake. I was throwing a shad pattern spinnerbait with silver willow and colorado blades into the main lake, parallel with the point and working it back into the channel where we had the boat positioned. I threw out roughly 10 times when I had a muskie chase my spinner all the way up to the boat. I was freaking out when I saw him, because I never caught a muskie before and plus it was huge! Anyway like I said he chased it all the way to the boat and I remembered watching muskie shows and how they did the figure eight to entice a bite. So I started to do that and half way into the figure eight he hit it and hit it HARD! I wasn't prepared for such a monster. He backlashed my baitcaster which means I couldn't give him a lot slack. My buddy not knowing what was going on, thought I had a carp on. haha Well I yelled it's a HUGE MUSKIE!!! He started freaking out too and didn't know what to do either because we didn't have a net. (which is weird because we have one and earlier that day he said he wished he would of brought it) So my buddy grabbed my line and tried to work the muskie to the boat to grab him under the gills. Well the muskie wasn't going to have any of that! He darted for deep water again and snapped me off. ugh!! I even have 15lbs fluorocarbon and he still snapped me off! Well I guess that's how it goes sometimes, but this year that seems to be the norm for me. Oh well the season is still early. Good fishing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment